March 9, 2019
We are excited to announce that at our next meeting we will have our first list of candidate which the conference has narrowed down for us. We will then begin the screening process of potential pastors; reading resumes, listening to messages, and actual interviews. Our goal is to quickly narrow down the list. Can't wait! It is certainly an exciting step in our process.
We are thankful to God for the timing of adding Dave Broza to our committee at this time, as Dave has vast interview experience.
A church personality survey has been recently completed. This facilitates the matching of the personality and the temperament of our church with that of potential pastors
The prayers of the congregation are an essential part of the interview process. We have been well aware through this journey that our church is supporting us in prayer. God bless us all as we seek His will.
November 21, 2018
The Pastor Search Committee is excited to announce that the Senior Pastor position is posted and P3 has started accepting resumes. We will be gathering the list of candidates over the next six weeks at this time the staff at P3 will begin to evaluate candidates that match our church profile. Please pray that candidates will find the positions and prayerfully consider applying. Also, pray for the P3 team as they continue to help us in our search.
We have more good news! At the Congregational Life Meeting on November 18th, Brad Gerdin was voted onto the Search Committee. We are excited and thankful to have Brad on the Committee.
Thank you for all your great questions during the Congregational Life Meeting, we appreciate that we have a congregation that cares about the Pastor Search process. Please remember - we are here for, you so don't be afraid to approach any of the Pastor Search Committee members with questions. Hearing from you is important to us.
Thank you for your continued prayers and support!
August 12th, 2018
Jason Norman hosted a Q&A about the Pastor Search process. Here are questions that were addressed during the presentation:
1. What has been done to date?
- Allowed Pastor Darrell to finish strong
- Performed search for Interim Pastor (Jason S.)
- Selected Search Committee
- Voted on Search Committee at special business meeting
- Conducted numerous Search Committee meetings
- Completed Theological Grid (thank you, Stan and Bob!)
- Completed Elder Board profile
- Completed Search Committee profile
- Completed Congregational Survey (set new record!)
- Created and completed first demographic survey
- Navigated Search Committee transition (Brad came off, Betty came on)
- Hosted Facilitated Session
- Plus: additional discussions, phone calls, emails, updates, readings, etc
2. What is left to do?
- Finalize updated job description for Senior Pastor role
- Post opening on numerous job boards
- Encourage / wait for candidates to apply
- Close posting / wait for P3 to interview candidates
- Define North Haven’s interview process
- P3 matches candidate profiles with our merged profile, forwards 3 – 8 with best fit
- 25-30 minute video interviews with all best-fit candidates (1st Round)
- Eliminate candidates
- 30-60 minute video interviews with candidates (2nd Round)
- 3rd Round
- Online candidate review
- Discrete candidating
- Recommend a candidate, including their terms, to the church at a business meeting
- Vote by written ballot, 3/4 necessary to extend a call
3. How long with this all take?
- We can’t say for sure but the P3 guidelines recommend expecting it to take 1 month for every year the previous pastor was serving at the church.
- We are on schedule with the P3 process which is more of a 14 – 16 month timeframe.
4. Why are we using P3?
- Directed by By-laws: “In seeking a suitable person, the calling committee shall consult the leaders of the Conference and take suggestions from the members of the church.”
- Prescribed process
- Proven process
- Pre-populated pool of candidates
- Leveraged experience
5. How can the rest of the congregation keep up-to-date with what is going on?
- Commitment to improved communication, bi-monthly update on church website
- Ask a Search Committee member
6. How can the rest of the congregation pass along questions?
- Talk to a Search Committee member in person or over the phone
- Postal mail
- Church mailboxes
7. What happened at the facilitated session?
- Great discussion that lasted 6 hours
- Merged the 3 profiles: Church, Elder, and Search Committee
- Made sure that we understand our current perspective and our future preferences and goals as a church
Soon, you can expect to see a few things added to the Pastor Search section of the website:
- Updated prayer requests
- FAQ section
- Pictures of search committee members
August 11, 2018
The Search Committee, Elders, Pastoral Staff, and a small group from the congregation gathered together with the P3 administrators for a facilitated session to go over our church profile. We learned a lot and were encouraged. We still have a big job ahead of us but are happy to report that we are on schedule!
July 18, 2018
Thank you for taking a moment to check in and see how the North Haven Church Pastor Search Committee is moving forward! The Pastor Placement Process (P3) is detailed and we are excited to see how it assists us as we search for our next Pastor.
The last few months have been filled with prayer, meetings, data collection, a shift in Search Committee members, and surveys.
Earlier this summer Jason Norman was elected to our Board of Elders. Our bylaws state that the Search Committee must have three members of the Elder Board and three members of the congregation at large, so we had to make a change. The Search Committee members are now: Betty Austring, Ashley Binneboese, Steve Dreyer, Bob Janisch, Jason Norman, and Marilyn Witherspoon. We are thankful that Betty was willing and able to step in. Her perspective and wisdom will be put to good use through this search process. We would also like to thank Brad Gerdin for his faithful service throughout the initial months of the search process.
P3 starts with the creation of a detailed church profile. This church profile will be used to match North Haven Church with pastoral candidates that will meet our current needs as a church and match our desires to grow as a congregation.
Included in the hard work involved in building a complete church profile, both the search committee and the Board of Elders have been meeting separately to go over a series of essay questions about North Haven. Staff members have been asked to answer a few questions to help us understand staff culture of North Haven. Stan Anderson and Bob Stein have helped us explain the theological landscape of North Haven. All regular attenders had the opportunity to complete a demographics card and a survey (we had a great return rate, you are the best!). All this information is being compiled to create our Church Profile. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to help us with this process. It hasn’t been easy, but we have learned important things about North Haven.
The next step will be a meeting with P3, so they can walk us through our church profile. We are planning this meeting in August or September. After that we will begin screening candidates.
For now, we are continuing to meet as we work through our marketing/communication needs in relation to the posting of the Pastor position.
We will continue to check in with prayer needs and updates as we are able. For now, we ask for prayers for:
- Wisdom for navigating the many steps and decisions involved in this process.
- Prayers for patience as this process is long.
- Insight for an increasing understanding and awareness of the unique needs of our church body
- Discernment, as we will need to judge which pieces to include in our church profile, so it is truly reflective of who North Haven is, while the church body works to become a better reflection of Christ.
Thank you again, for your continued help and support. We are thankful to have such an amazing church family.
- Pastor Search Committee